Toronto General Hospital’s Russell-Knight Ambulances

In 1914, J. C. Eaton donated this Russell-Knight ambulance to the Toronto General Hospital. It proved to be a good addition to the hospital. So good, in fact, that it was still in use in 1926 having logged over 660,000 miles! (Sources: City of Toronto Archives, Winnipeg Tribune 1926-05-08)

Toronto General’s first ambulance was also a Russell-Knight. It was purchased in 1913 with funds bequeathed by Agnes Shields, after 24 years of using horse-drawn rigs. It didn’t actually see any real action until well into 1914. (Source: Toronto World 1914-07-05)